1 small onion, peeled, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp tomato paste (no added salt)
410g can crushed tomatoes (no added salt)
1 tsp dried mixed herbs or fresh herbs
Canola Spray oil
* Finely chopped or grated in season vegetables (carrot, zucchini, broccoli stem, spinach) (optional)
- Heat a saucepan and spray with oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over low heat until the onion is softened. If including vegetables, add to the saucepan and saute until soft.
- Add the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, herbs and 125ml (1/2 cup) water.
- Simmer for 25 minutes until thick. If desired, puree in a food processor or with a mix stick until desired consistency
- Use on pastas, in lasagne, in place of jar pasta sauce. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for several days or freeze for several weeks (use ice cube trays or muffin tray to make smaller portions before freezing)